Friday, September 19, 2008

Reed's first OUCH!

After a wonderful last few days with the boy, we decided to try to go to a friend's party for their daughter's 2nd birthday. The party was in Shelter Cove in Pacifica, CA a quaint little paradise of seventeen cottages on the beach. We climbed down something like 200 steep stairs leading to the beach from the top of a hill using a rope railing and watching every step carefully. After we arrived I took a seat on the couch and started to nurse. 10 minutes later I had Reed in my lap smiling at me and all of a sudden I heard and felt a big BANG. It turns out one of the many toddlers and kids in the room had thrown a plastic tambourine our way and it hit Reed smack in the back of his head, really hard. We were both in shock at first. I kept saying Oh My God..Oh My God... and holding him close. He got silent for a few seconds (in shock I think) and then began to cry. I assessed the damage, and there was nothing permanent, a little redness but nothing to truly worry about.

Mama bear came back in full force, let me tell you. My initial instinct was to push which ever kid threw it right out the second story window and take Reed back to our cave. This being the first time I had ever experienced him hurt in any way, he cried and I cried but in the end we were both fine. I was happy that it didn't send him off into a tailspin, instead he buried his face in my chest and snuggled me while he cried. I know this is the first of many bumps and bruises for my little boy but the first one is the definitely the hardest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kris,

You were there when Brennan got his first "ouch". Remember? On the Russian River and I too was nursing him and scratched his beautiful, perfect little leg on that lawn chair? I was about to huck that chair into the river (along with myself!!) and felt SOOOO bad. I know how you feel, my dear! That's when you know FOR SURE you're a momma!!

P.S. It does get easier... :)