Saturday, September 6, 2008

6 week peak

People told us that once you make it past 6 weeks (the 6 week peak) you've gotten through the hardest part and so far we believe that (for the most part). Reed is now just over 7 weeks and over the last few days I have noticed he is smiling a ton and becoming much more interactive with his hands, limbs and expressions. It's as if he is finally realizing that he is not going back in the womb and just now starting to feel ok with that and perhaps even happy about his new world.

He is responding to our voices and the other day when Billy got home from work he gave him a HUGE smile as if to say "Hey, I know you!" All of this, plus the fact that he seems to be catching a stride with daytime naps vs awake time teaches us that it truly does get easier and easier as you get to know them more. We're still not in any kind of schedule, but we are starting a semi-regular routine at least in the evenings that seems to work for him and help him understand it's time for a longer sleep.

As for more "firsts" of this week....
Reed had his first three times away from either of us and it went pretty well. On Tuesday Helen (our sister-in-law) watched him at her house while I went to a podiatrist appointment (more on that in a later post) and when I walked in after an hour and a half or so, he was sound asleep on her chest. So despite her wondering, all her what-to-do-with-an-infant instincts came rushing back and I was so grateful. The second (and third) babysitting adventures happened with John and Molly. First they generously offered to care for him as Billy took me out to a wonderful dinner for my b-day on Thursday. Second, they watched him for 5 hours on Friday as I attended a training and meeting for my upcoming job in November. Both times they said he was a champ and did not take too much effort to calm down, feed or get to sleep. I did alright too, of course I missed my boy bu tit felt good to think about my future work and to be reminded how supportive my colleagues are of having a family.

In addition, Reed had his first bath in the bath tub. On one of the hot Berkeley evenings the three of us squeezed into the tub with warm (not hot) water and took a family bath. Reed LOVED it and so did we. Today is my birthday celebration and we're having a bunch of family and friends over to see Reed and eat pizzas, pies....should be a lot of fun (pictures to come).

No comments: