Even though it seems there are some things we can count on like happy alert time after feeding or 3-4 hour nap around 6pm, each day is totally different from the next. He is still a good eater and pretty sound sleeper at night and during the day he is becoming so much more interactive and engaged in everything going on around him. I have started talking to him practically all the time. I basically narrate what ever I am doing to or with him and most of the time he seems interested. I am reading a book called the Baby Whisperer and one of the things she tries to hammer home is the fact that "the baby" is his own little being with his own personality, likes and dislikes and deserves the same respect you would give an older child or adult. She asks, would you just start undressing an older child or changing an older child's positions without explaining why? Probably not right? So why do we think we can do these things with babies and not tell them why? Although I'm pretty sure Reed doesn't understand the words I use, I like the idea of getting in the habit of talking to him and letting him know what to expect next.
In addition, he is holding his head up for several seconds and turning it from side to side when he's on his tummy. He seems to like this time and I would project that he is proud of his new accomplishment. His neck is getting stronger and so are his legs. He often kicks the chair or couch arm when he's nursing and knocks himself off my breast, I swear sometimes he laughs a little when that happens because he knows that I will put him back on in no time and he likes this little game between us. I am really enjoyng nursing him especiall when he looks up at me and reaches his arm up near my face as if to say "thanks mom"... it's really precious time.
As for us, I am doing well and now completely recovered from the birth. B and I have finding some time to spend together as well. One of our favorite times has been going in the hot tub at night after we put Reed down. He rigged up a psudo baby monitor by using our two cordless home phones so we can enjoy it and not worry about what's going on inside. It has been fun to watch the Olympics together over the past few weeks but I'm glad they are over. There were too many late nights and now that we are getting to bed earlier we are feeling better at dawn when he is ready to get up.
We are also finding plenty of time for outings including walks, farmer's markets, parties, dinners, errands and movies! That's right we went to a movie last night at the El Cerrito Speak Easy. This wonderful theatre allows babies under one year in free on Tuesday nights for "Baby Brigade". We saw Dark Knight and even amongst the crying and cooing of all the babies in the audience, we loved it. Incidentally, Reed slept the whole time - what a trooper.
Time has flown by and Billy goes back to work tomorrow - Reed's 6 week birthday. Of course I knew this day would come and I am so thrilled with how much time he has had with Reed during these past 6 weeks. They have an incredible bond and they just seem to understand each other in a way that no one else does. It's really beautiful. Yet, now it will be just Reed and I during the days which will be hard for me but harder for Billy I think.
In other news, we are feeling good as far as house projects go. Billy has become quite the expert carpenter and is having fun finding projects to work on that are easy to drop at a moments notice to spend time with the boy. Pictures of some of his recent projects coming soon....

No comments:
Post a Comment